Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Hills.....Have a Point

I've been a little conflicted lately. Sometimes being a woman sucks. Because even though we don't want to, we care about things way too much. I've often times been irritated with myself for feeling upset when I know I shouldn't be.

So here's the situation: Almost a year ago my best friend and I "broke up". While I haven't spoken to her in a year, I am thinking it was pretty much mutual. Mutual in the fact that neither one of us tried to salvage anything. I know my reasons for not trying. I have somewhat of an idea of hers.

She recently got married and it has hit me hard. Mainly because I've known this person for 19 years and have been there for pretty much everything. She was in my wedding and I always thought I'd be in hers. I've told a lot of people who say the situation is sad that I really couldn't miss something that wasn't there. But when things like this happen, it just hurts.

Someone once said:
"Never make someone a priority who only considers you an option".

And I will also quote Lauren Conrad from "The Hills" (Laura will appreciate this):
"I'm so tired of trying to make you be my friend.....I feel so pathetic."

These quotes make me feel better because I know that I'm not the only one. At the end of the day I look at myself and know that I was the best friend that she could have had. But sometimes that's not enough.

And that's why I'm going to go drink some wine.


2 comments:

Laura said...

I do appreciate the Hill's being inspiration for you. Here is what I would suggest though, being that I lost a best friend before...

Give her one more try. Call her, send her an email, whatever would work... and just apologize, even if it wasn't at all your fault. That way, if it can be worked out, it will, if not, you can never say that you didn't try to make the relationship work, because it is obviously eatting at you, a year later.

Just thoughts.

Art Teacher said...

Ahhhh, Laura is so wise. Give her a try and if she makes no effort back then you know you did all you could!

Lunch was fun today, let's hang out again soon.